Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Resized Oliver + S Bucket Hat

I enjoyed making my son's bucket hat so much that I decided to make one for myself.  I wanted to use the Oliver + S Bucket Hat pattern since I liked the pattern, but it wasn't scaled to fit an adult's head.  I decided to make the pattern larger to see if I could get it to work for me.  I needed to enlarge the circumference by at least an inch to make it fit me, so I just played around with the pattern pieces increasing the overall size of each pattern piece.  I tryed to follow the sizing lines as a guide, but for the most part I winged it.  I did make sure the brim was a bit wider/longer, because I wanted to really keep the sun out of my eyes.
I didn't care if my hat was reversible, but I still wanted the inside of the hat to be finished nicely.  Therefore, I used some white cotton for the inner cap and white twill for the outer hat cap and both the inner and outer brims.
Since I was able to successfully alter the pattern and make an adult sized hat, I now have to make one for my father and father-in-law.  I think I'll be getting to use some more of those scrap pant legs!

No comments: