Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Kitchen Nook Skirt

We finally finished off our butler's pantry area between our kitchen and dining room.  My husband patched the walls so that I could add the same decorative paint finish I put on our kitchen walls about 7 years earlier.  Fortunately, I still had the proper paint colors and remembered how to do it!  Then he mounted a shelf under a set of cabinets to use for coffee cups and accessories above his coffee station.  We still had an unsightly mess of shelves underneath my baking nook that couldn't be covered with doors due to the dining room door frame trim being butted up against the counter.  I decided to make two curtains to hide the stuff on the shelves and add a little bit of color to the area.
My husband mounted the dowel for the curtains, and then I got to work on them.  I used a full width of home decor fabric for each curtain, which was roughly double the width of the area.  I hemmed the sides and bottom of the curtains.  Lastly, I made a pocket for the dowel to go through at the top by folding down the top portion of the fabric and stitching across.
What a difference the finished skirt makes!  As an added bonus, my daughter no longer has any interest in what's on the shelves--out of sight, out of mind!

No comments: