Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oliver + S Bucket Hat

My son needed another bucket hat for summer since he'd outgrown his previous one.  Instead of buying one I decided to make one, especially after finding the free Oliver + S reversible bucket hat pattern.  The hat is sized up to a 6-8 year old's head, which was exactly what I needed.

I was able to be somewhat thrifty with this hat. For one side of the hat I got a chance to use some twill material taken from leftover pant legs from my husband's old Dockers after I had turned them into shorts. I had kept the pant legs way before I had decided what to do with them. I knew eventually I'd find a purpose for them!

For the other side of the hat I used some Disney Cars fabric.  That worked out perfectly since my son was going to wear the hat to Disney World.  To tie both sides together I cut out some of the characters from the print and appliqued them onto the twill side. 
The hat went together well.  The only problem I had was attaching the top part of the Cars print hat to the brim.  I really had to stretch the twill sides to get the caps to fit together properly while stitching the print cap to the brim, which caused the vertical seams to shift and end up staggered.  Ugh!  Fortunately it's not as noticible as it would have been had I shifted the seams on the solid twill side.

No comments: