Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Plastic Bag Tote


I was sent email about how I created the plastic bag tote seen here, so I thought I'd put the information up here so all could view it.

Materials:
  • various plastic bags
  • size 10 US needles
  • coated string for sewing
  • blunt eye needle
  • pattern: Simple Knits with a Twist by Erica Knight; the pattern can also be found on the DIY Network.
Notes: I cut the bags in 1/2-inch strips starting at the top of the bag and going around and around as though peeling and orange. This way ensures one long continuous strip. I cut the strip off at various intervals so that I could incorporate other bag colors into the ball of "yarn" I was creating. I tied the strips together in knots leaving the ends as is.


I've also included a picture of the type of bag I used. I prefer the thicker ones rather than the flimsy grocery store variety.



This bag was a lot of fun, but a little hard on the hands. I will definitely make another one, trying a different way to put it together. This pattern uses a gusset. for the next one I may just knit one long strip and fold it over. I also would like to try doing this same bag in single crochet.

No comments: